Did you know?
Australians spend over $10.5 billion per year on stuff they don’t use!
Could you go 6 months without buying new clothes for yourself or anyone in your family?
As a self-declared shop-aholic I can definitely admit this would be virtually impossible—insane really!
However, I highly recommend trying it if only for one month.
Over-consumption of practically everything in Australia is of increasing concern. Westfield Malls are on the rise and as jam-packed as ever with frenzied shoppers. As environmental awareness accelerates more companies are becoming greener and embarking on more sustainable means of production. Which is comforting when considering the weight of consumption doesn’t appear to be decreasing.
The Clothing Exchange reported,
“Australians currently spend over $10.5 billion per year on stuff we don’t use. And fashion accounts for well over $1.7 billion of that annual waste expenditure.”
So basically we sentence a lot of stuff to the dark corners of the closet for a hell of a lot of money and damage to the planet.
So I challenge you to journey through one whole month embracing responsible and conscious consumption. If you have the incessant desire to purchase that one really amazing piece amongst the I am pages, please do so. However! Why not stick to just one.
I promise you will survive, you may even gain an increased awareness of sustainability and a greater respect for fashion.
GREAT REASONS TO EMBRACE THE THRIFT!
- You will save money!
- You don’t need a lot of money!
- Find classic garments and accessories for a fraction of the original retail price. The thrill of securing a bargain is an additional perk of shopping second hand.
- It’s environmentally-friendly.
- Buying second hand removes one more need for someone to go and chop down a tree, pollute the sky and oceans, or pay a human being 5 cents a day to make an item you may only wear once. Pat yourself on the back, you are helping save the universe.
- Your money goes to a good cause.
- Your money will assist in helping others in need and generally within your local community.
- You will be a unique and ORIGINAL fashionista! Chances are you will never rock up wearing the same thing as someone else.
Check out how we’re styling the #thrift way over at [The Thrift Edit] at the top of this page.